Have you ever wondered what a personal injury attorney actually does? And why doesn’t Attorney Ben Schwartz wear a tie in his videos?
Hi, I’m Attorney Ben Schwartz.
Today, I’m going to answer questions that other personal injury attorneys have asked me: “Ben, why do you do these videos and put them on the internet? What is the purpose and why do you put yourself out there? You’re not even wearing a tie!”
I think there’s a big gap in the perception of the legal profession. Attorneys go to work every day. We work all day, we work at night, and we work on the weekends.
Attorneys wake up in the mornings to help people by:
- going to battle for their clients;
- helping people better understand their cases;
- working with injured clients in personal injury cases;
- working with clients in criminal cases where the client was wrongfully charged or overcharged with more serious crimes than the ones he or she actually committed;
- helping clients draft wills to protect their assets from the government or from people who might take advantage of them when they get old and sick;
- and a lot more.
Most people have no idea how the legal process works when they get into an accident.
- who pays for medical bills?
- what they’re entitled to if they are injured in a car accident?
- what they’re entitled to if they are injured on the job?
- what they should do if they are charged with a crime?
Most attorneys want to help people. There’s a big gap between how it works and how the general public thinks it works. The concepts that lawyers deal with are foreign to most people. It’s almost as if we’re working invisibly. No one sees what we do, and most people don’t fully understand their own rights.
I thought that videos might allow me to answer some questions that people in the community have. I thought it might help people become familiar with their rights. These videos might help people become more familiar with what attorneys do and understand how to go about protecting themselves. I thought these videos might teach people how to go about enforcing their legal rights if they get into a situation where they need to exercise them. Otherwise, no one will exercise them for you. I’m an attorney because I want to help people, and people are why I do these videos.
If you’re an attorney, you might ask, “Hey, why don’t you put on a tie and look professional?” Do I own ties? Of course, I own ties! I want you to know it’s not important to me what I look like. I’m not trying to tell people to hire me for a case. I’m here to put out information that will help people. I don’t care if I have a tie on or not!
If you have questions or if you have comments, send me an email below. But if you’re an attorney, do not email me and tell me to put a tie. I’m not in court, so I don’t care about wearing one!
I’m Attorney Ben Schwartz. Thanks for watching!