Are you looking for a motorcycle accident lawyer in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey & Pennsylvania? Well, you’re in the right place. Motorcycle accidents are an all too common cause of injury and death in Delaware and Pennsylvania. Our managing partner, Ben Schwartz, is a former motorcyclist and former amateur cyclist. We, therefore, have firsthand experience dealing with inattentive motorists who don’t seem to care about sharing the road with motorcyclists.
Call us today and speak with a motorcycle accident lawyer about your case.
Motorcycle accidents present unique challenges. Personal Injury Protection (PIP), which covers medical expenses and lost wages, may have special deductions and exclusions for motorcycle accidents. For instance, there can be exclusions for accidents that occur off-road or which do not involve another motor vehicle. It is best to retain an attorney with experience handling these specialized cases. There have been several major studies of motorcycle accidents. The primary U.S. study is called the Hurt Report, named after Professor Harry Hurt. The study was initiated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). It was published in 1981.
The findings included the following:
- Two-thirds of motorcycle vs. car collisions occurred because the car driver failed to see the motorcycle and violated the rider’s right of way.
- Helmets significantly reduce the risk of brain injury but do not increase the risk of accident or neck injury.
Common injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- spinal cord injuries, including paraplegia and quadriplegia
- joint and ligament injuries
- abdominal and visceral injuries
- skin abrasion (“road rash”)
If you have been harmed or if you have lost a family member as a result of a motorcycle injury, call our experienced Delaware motorcycle accident lawyers today.