Are you looking for a car accident Lawyer? Well, you’re in the right place. Our attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on behalf of clients injured by careless, negligent and reckless motorists all over Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. Automobile accidents cause pain for our clients each day. We handle car accident cases for clients all over the Delmarva peninsula. We have offices in Havertown, Pennsylvania, Dover & Wilmington, Delaware and Salisbury, Maryland. From these locations, we are able to provide legal representation in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.
There are as many causes of accidents as there are drivers on the road. No two accidents are the same. Some common causes of accidents are driver inattention or distraction, talking on a cell phone, texting or checking email, speeding, improper maintenance of a vehicle, and driver fatigue. We hold careless and reckless drivers responsible when they cause accidents and injuries to our clients. That’s why you need a Car Accident Lawyer.
Who will pay for my medical treatment and doctors after my car accident? Who will pay my lost wages?
In Delaware, every motorist is required to carry Personal Injury Protection insurance, also called PIP or “no-fault” insurance. If you were injured in an accident, your own PIP will pay for your hospital and doctor’s bills and lost wages up to your policy limit.
Why do I need a car accident lawyer for my automobile accident case?
You should retain an experienced and competent automobile accident attorney, or Car Accident Lawyer if you were injured due to another motorist’s negligence or careless conduct. Only an attorney can properly protect you. It would be wonderful if you could rely on the insurance companies to do the right thing, make sure your medical bills are paid, make sure your wages are covered, make sure you are offered reasonable and fair compensation for your future expenses, and take care of your pain and suffering. If you could rely on the insurance companies, you wouldn’t need a lawyer. Unfortunately, insurance companies are in business to make money. That’s why Warren Buffett’s investment firm Berkshire Hathaway owns GEICO. You are likely to find that your insurance company, which was so helpful and courteous when you paid your premium, will become a stingy, unfair, abusive monster when you need the cash to flow in the opposite direction. Essentially, you will likely need a Car Accident Lawyer to force the insurance companies to do the right thing.
Statute of Limitations: a statute of limitations is a law that limits the time in which you may file a lawsuit. In automobile accident personal injury cases in Delaware, the statute of limitations is two years. It is important to hire a competent and qualified Delaware automobile accident personal injury attorney as soon as possible to protect your legal rights by investigating your claim and filing suit on your behalf in a timely manner.
According to the Delaware Office of Highway Safety, in 2009, a traffic crash was reported every 28 minutes in Delaware. If you were injured in an auto accident, you are not alone!
I was injured in an auto accident. Now what?
1. At the scene of the accident, safety should be your first priority. Stay in your vehicle if you can do so safely. A lot of people would advise you to start playing police officer by taking down the names of witnesses, taking photos of the accident scene, etc. We would not. Call 911 and let the police do their job. Even low-speed accidents can cause catastrophic, life-threatening injuries such as fractures of the bones in your neck, or damage to the tissues that retain your cerebral spinal fluid. If possible to safely do so, remain in your vehicle and try to move as little as possible until medically cleared by a trained professional.
2. Make sure you or someone you know gets a copy of a Driver Information Exchange Form from the investigating officer. We need that to order the full police report.
3. Call your auto insurance company when you get home. Report the accident, write down the name and phone number of the adjuster assigned to your case if they assign one when you call. Most importantly, write down your claim number. Request an application for PIP benefits. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) will cover your lost wages and medical expenses. We will help you complete your PIP application if we represent you. Ask for collision damage or property damage adjuster to contact you if you need to get your car fixed or totaled. If you have collision coverage, your insurance should fix or total your car, not the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
4. If the at-fault driver’s insurance company contacts you, let them know you are going to consult with an attorney. Write down the caller’s name, phone number, and claim number. DO NOT give a tape-recorded interview. DO NOT accept any money from the at-fault driver’s insurance company until you speak to a Car Accident Lawyer. They have ways of tricking people into settling their claims and waiving all rights. Don’t fall for it!
5. Call us immediately for a free consultation with a Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey or Pennsylvania Car Accident Lawyer.
Schwartz & Schwartz handles automobile accident personal injury cases in New Castle County, Kent County, and Sussex County, Delaware as well as New Jersey, Philadelphia, PA and Maryland.
If you need to speak to an automobile accident personal injury attorney for an accident in any of the following areas, please contact us today